The Gold Coast, in popular South East Queensland, offers a wide range of fun activities for kids under 12 years old.
If you’re planning a trip to this amazing destination, here are some of the best Gold Coast activities and attractions that cater to young children.
The Gold Coast is famous for its many beautiful beaches. Take your kids to popular spots like Surfers Paradise or Broadbeach for sandcastle building, swimming, and playing in the waves.
2. Theme Parks
No trip to the Gold Coast with kids would be complete without a visit to the world-famous theme parks! There are several options worth considering – or even better, purchase a multi-park pass and enjoy them all!
- Warner Bros. Movie World: Enjoy thrilling rides and meet your favourite movie characters.
- Sea World: Enjoy thrilling rides, entertaining shows, and hands-on interactions with marine life – such as the amazing seal encounter for the unforgettable holiday memories.
- Dreamworld: Home to some of Queensland’s most exciting rides, animal encounters, shows and water attractions.
- WhiteWater World: Located next to Dreamworld and open on selected days in the warmer months (Sep – Apr), you can visit this exciting standalone water park or get a better deal with a 2-Day Dreamworld & WhiteWater World ticket
- Wet’n’Wild: Australia’s largest water park with slides and water play areas. This is part of the Village Roadshow group which also includes Movie World and Sea World, so grab a better deal with a 3 Day Escape Pass and visit all 3 parks!
Get up close with Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, and lorikeets at the one-of-a-kind Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. The kids will love feeding and interacting with the animals, and you’re sure to snap some unforgettable holiday memories at this fun and interactive park.
A captivating dinner show that offers a unique experience of Australia’s outback with live animals, stunning stunts and performances and amazing food (trust us – we’ve tried it!!). How they feed all the guests at the same time is still a mystery, but it’s well worth the visit!
Infinity is an immersive and mind-bending journey through futuristic mazes of lights and special effects that can be fun for those slightly older kids.
6. Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
Explore unusual artefacts, exhibits, and interactive displays at this quirky museum – including a shrunken human head and rare animal skeletons.
For something a little different, why not head to Tropical Fruit World which offers one-of-a-kind safari tractor ride, wildlife boat cruise, tropical fruit tasting, putt put, flying fox and more.
When it comes to kids, you can’t go wrong with a trip to Timezone: a sprawling arcade with a variety of games, from classic pinball to modern video games.
9. Aquatic Centres
The Gold Coast has several aquatic centres with pools, slides, and play areas, such as the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre and Palm Beach Aquatic Centre.
Take a nature walk on the 1.5km Tamborine Mountain Rainforest Skywalk – a suspended bridge with spectacular views and memorable nature encounters. It’s a great way to introduce kids to the wonders of the rainforest.
11. Surfing Lessons
If your kids are a bit older and adventurous, consider enrolling them in a Gold Coast surfing lesson. Many surf schools cater to beginners.
Explore the lush Gold Coast hinterland with its beautiful waterfalls, rainforest walks, and charming mountain villages. Look for kid-friendly trails.
13. Broadwater Parklands
A free, family-friendly waterfront park with playgrounds, picnic areas, and amazing rockpools area the kids will love!
Older kids may enjoy the panoramic views of the Gold Coast from the Q1 building’s SkyPoint observation deck.
15. Indoor Play Centers
There are indoor play centres like Bounce and Inflatable World for fun in a controlled environment.
When planning your visit, be sure to check the age and height restrictions for certain attractions as well as opening days and times, as some rides and activities may have minimum requirements for safety reasons and are closed during off-seasons.
Overall, the Gold Coast offers a fantastic array of activities for kids, making it a great destination for families with young children.